Don’t leave your cyber safety up in the air!
Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, chances are you have your computer with you and may try to find a few quiet moments to log on and get some work done or surf the web. How do you do so safely, without compromising your personal information or your business?
Before the trip:
- 1. Ensure the latest software updates are applied to all the devices you will be taking with you. Computers, phones, and tablets.
- 2. Back-up your personal data, your photos, and important documents.
- 3. Password protect all your devices. For phones and tablets, enable biometric protection in addition to a PIN.
- 4. For your work computer, reach out to your IT team to ensure your device is fully updated and all files are backed up. Who should you contact for this? Send firstname.lastname@example.org an email!
During the trip:
- 1. If possible, avoid public WiFi and utilize your phone’s hotspot. Although the risk for devices with system updates applied is low, the risk still exists. Attackers can sometimes impersonate the public WiFi connection and intercept your traffic.
- 2. Avoid checking your bank account or logging into your work profile while on public WiFi.
- 3. Do not leave your devices unattended for any period. Always make sure they are secured and put away when not in use.
- 4. If in a public place, pay attention to people around. Specifically, watch out for shoulder surfing.
- 5. If someone asks to borrow your phone to make a phone call, and you cannot or do not want to say no, ask the number they need to call and dial it for them. One step further is to place the call on speaker or avoid giving a stranger your phone at all.
Most people believe that they are not important enough for someone to steal their information. This is a fallacy, It is not always about who you are or what you have, but about opportunity. Think about it, you wouldn’t leave your front door unlocked while you fly across the country for a vacation all week would you? Do not give cyber criminals the opportunity to make you an easy target!
We wish you safe travels this summer!